Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I'm writing again. Hooray!

I thought returning to writing fiction would be difficult, that I'd have to resort to beating myself with Opus Dei whips or something. Didn't turn out that way.

It was quite simple to get back in the swing of things. I just sat down and picked up where I left off. It felt like I'd never stopped. This book is called "The Worlds". It's a sci-fi novel that breaks all the rules. I love to break rules. It helps me to enjoy the process of writing because I can exclaim "Take that, literary scolds!" as I lay down a new scene. Seriously, breaking rules is my favorite pastime.

So the next book is (once again) on the way, kids. Stay tuned. In the meantime, read the first one I wrote. It's October, or as I like to say, "Octogre". This means Halloween is on the way and I'll be plugging the book all month. It's the perfect time of year to start reading Xmas Carol. Go get it -- and tell me what you think of the book. I love to get feedback. It's how we writers get better at our craft, you know. Without an echo from readers, we're writing in the dark.

And to anyone out there who is procrastinating about a task that's hanging over their head like the proverbial Sword of Damocles, I suggest my golden rule: "Do something every day to continue your task." It doesn't matter how small the effort is. Due to the miracle of mathematics, it all adds up and one day you'll realize you're done. It ain't hard. Just takes a little work.

PS: NPR insists the way I just used the phrase "Sword of Damocles" is incorrect. Stuffy critics! This is the way it's used currently in the US -- and that is what makes this use appropriate. I love to irritate arcane scolds. It's good, old-fashioned fun. Read my books and see. How dare they establish rules for writers? Writing is anarchy: you can do it any way you like.