Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pope Francis is absolutely right

Pope Francis hit the bulls-eye with his remarks while visiting a war memorial in Italy yesterday.
Pope Francis urged the world Saturday to shed its apathy in the face of what he characterizes as a third world war, intoning "war is madness" at the foot of a grandiose monument to soldiers killed in World War I.

Standing at an altar beneath the towering Redipuglia memorial entombing 100,000 Italian soldiers fallen in World War I, the pope said "even today, after the second failure of another world war, perhaps one can speak of a third war, one fought piecemeal, with crimes, massacres, destruction."
I think these remarks are very perceptive. The third world war is already taking place. I've felt this in my heart for a long time but I confess I'd never put it in such concise terms. Let's repeat the pope's words:
"Perhaps one can speak of a third [world] war, one fought piecemeal, with crimes, massacres, destruction." 
Well said, and I hope the world takes note and adopts this language. The third world war is already being fought.