Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Hermit in the dark

That's me: the hermit in the dark. I detest light.

During the day, I shield the windows with dark curtains. No light may enter my domain. At night, the blessed darkness envelops me. I hardly have any lights in my house, though I do have a few nightlights. In other words, there's no way to turn a real light on because I don't own one.

So when my cleaning lady said she couldn't come at 8 am yesterday - her usual time - but could come by at 5 pm, I said "No way, it's too dark in here at night. You'll never be able to clean." She said, "No problem, leave it to me."

She arrived at 5 pm wearing a miner's headlamp, the band you put around your head to position a light that essentially beams from your forehead. Without prelude, she proceeded to clean in the dark. It made me laugh whenever I looked her way.

And this morning, everything is wildly clean. She did it! I think she deserves the House Cleaner of the Year Award. Whatever, I just thought I'd share a page from my life.