Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Higgs mania

I'm excited by rumors of the possible discovery of the Higgs boson at CERN. You have to be a physics freak to get into this stuff, I guess. But luckily, that's what I am. If you're a physics fan, read on. The rest of you, carry on as before.

This is the most interesting article I've encountered on the topic. Have they discovered the elusive Higgs boson, or not? If you've done your homework and know the basics, I think you'll find the linked article interesting. It not only clarifies the rumors but includes several takes on the Higgs by prominent scientists. These guys (including Lisa Randall) are heroes to me. It was fascinating and fun to hear their opinions about whether the Higgs exists, and if so, in what flavor. Great article -- but again, mainly for physics freaks.

The next few months and years are going to be very interesting for the physics community. This matters. It's about the very nature of reality -- you know, the stuff all around you and inside you. I can't wait for the announcement.

What a year! And we have not only this but the August Mars landing to look forward to. Big science year!