Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A "proper burial"

I don't see anything proper about sticking dead people in the ground. They're dead meat -- so we bury them? How does this make sense? I don't want my dead body to be wasted, rotting under the ground in a box. I'd rather something ate me -- you know, to spread the good around. I may as well be useful once I'm dead. That's how I look at it.

There are other options these days. Apparently, there's been an big uptick in the number of people who choose to be "buried" at sea. If its is an actual body rather than "cremains", they tie a weight to the body and drop it into the water many miles out at sea. I imagine some nice fishies would enjoy a tasty snack like that. And water is so restful, don't you think?

What I'd really like is for someone to toss my body in the woods so creatures passing by could eat me. And part of me could simply rot into the soil. That sounds delightful.

I don't get "proper" burials. Plus, they waste so much real estate. And for what? Graveyards are useless. We should destroy dead bodies in a way that benefits the local environment, or we should make fuel out of them, or something. Surely this is what will happen in the long run. If not, we'll soon have to build our houses and offices on scaffolding so as not to disturb all the dumb graves below. Seriously, I don't get it.