Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Back your stuff up!

I bought another backup drive. My old one was fine but only stored 500 GB. Since my current computer has a 1-TB drive, it was time to move up. (The kids will find a use for the old one.)

The drive I got is pictured is the La Cie 1-TB Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive. Two hundred bucks. I love this thing. Supposedly you can drop the thing and it'll be fine. It's got rubber housing all around to protect the drive, but I don't think I'll be dropping it much. The model is meant to be tossed in your pocket or bag and lugged around with you. (A mobile 1-TB drive. Scary concept, huh?)

It doesn't require its own power source. You just plug it into whatever slots you've got on the back of your computer (it has four cords to match up to almost anything) and it works by drawing on the computer's electricity.

This means if there's a fire, all I'll have to do is grab this little thing and run. I won't have to fight flames and smoke to get a damn plug out of the wall -- it'll be a simple snatch-and-run. Makes me happy. And the drive is super-fast when using the included FireWire 800 cord. The only drawback is that it doesn't have lights to tell you when it's working. I guess they omitted them to minimize power consumption. I can live with this flaw. And did I mention it's really fast?

Don't forget to back up your work! Seriously.