Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The lies of anti-gay hate groups

Today, Joe.My.God quoted some rightwing fool named Ed Allebest, who wrote a piece for Preserve Marriage Maine, a wingnut anti-gay hate group. I was struck by something Allebest said. I've heard it many times and it's complete nonsense. Here's the excerpt:
The dark secret of homosexual society is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally."
I lived in gay neighborhoods and worked with gay people for most of my life. I've had a zillion gay friends. And in all that time, I never encountered a gay man who said he wished he was straight. Not one. I've also never heard a gay man say he "entered into" gayness after being raped. Life doesn't work that way. You're gay or you're not.

The other day I told my sister I was disappointed when neither of her sons turned out to be gay. She asked why and I replied, "Because being gay is way more fun than being straight." I can't speak for all gay men but I think my view is a common one. Yet the wingnuts blather on. What hateful, dreadful people they are.