Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bringing voices to print

I worked for a community-based HIV-prevention organization for many years, one that focused on teens and adolescents. In this job I had the opportunity to meet some incredible speakers, community people who could get through to a crowd in a personal, meaningful way. Their messages were startlingly fresh and inspiring to hear. In the end, I came to think of this new breed of educators as heroes --  and there were some stars among them.

One thing I learned from my interaction with them was that, although they could think on their feet, when it came to the written word, they were lost. To them, writing was an alien thing. Since speaking in public is an alien thing to me, I figured we were even and wondered if I could help them out. I learned that they wanted to get their message down on paper, and that's where I came in.

I loved interviewing these speakers and then writing articles with their byline, for publication in various newsletters. I actually assumed their identities and tried to write in their voice, while at the same time using my writing skills to make the piece work. In other words, I wrote the articles I thought they would write (if writing was a part of their skills set).

In emotional terms, this turned out to be like painting the likeness of a military hero and giving the painting to the family. When I handed them the finished article and watched them read it, their faces were a sight to behold. They saw this simple act as a stunning gift. Finally, there it was right in front of them: their message in print, to do with as they wished. They were so grateful (and so was I, for the experience).

This sort of thing can be helpful in many ways. Once something has been written in a clear, compelling manner, this language can be lifted and used for other purposes, such as PSAs or grant applications. A little writing goes a long way.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can write, you have a precious gift to offer to others. Do it. Spread your talent around. Sometimes even something quite simple, like helping a mother write a letter of complaint to send to her child's school, can be very empowering. They can relax, knowing their case has been stated clearly, and this can be a source of great relief. And of course, many people today could use help with resumes and cover letters.

We writers have something to give and the great thing is, barring Alzheimer's, this talent will remain with us forever. No matter how old you get, you will still be able to write things for people. Try it if you haven't. It feels pretty darned good.