Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How goes the edit, Keith?

I'm so glad you asked. The edit of Xmas Carol is going swimmingly! For over a week, I've been axing scenes and even whole characters. These are scary activities for a writer.

But as a result I can feel an improved pace in the book. It moves in a way that it didn't before. It's sleeker. On my next go-round I'll only have to ensure that every scene sings -- and then it's done!

On the other hand, it will take a while for me to get there. I'm on the seventh scene of chapter five, and there are 12 chapters. I counted yesterday and there are 75 more scenes to edit. If I do three a day, I'll be done with this edit in 25 days. Not bad.

By the way, I was thinking that a post I put up here last November might serve as a preface for the book. Here's the link (ignore the PS at the end). It might work. Not sure but it's a thought.