Saturday, January 8, 2011

A very odd thing

Earlier this week, something strange happened. I was at a web site, commenting back and forth with a guy who seemed interesting. At some point, we shared the fact that we're writers.

And then he told me the subject of a book he plans to write (or is writing; I'm not sure). And it's the book I've already written! It's the same idea I used in my first sci-fi novel, The Worlds. It even sounds like the thrust of his story (beyond the original idea) is similar to mine. Of course, I expect that in the end we will have done very different things with the idea. It's not like we're writing the exact same book with the same characters and plot turns. Still, how weird is this?

So I wrote back and told him basically, "By the way, I've already written the book you plan to write." He stopped responding at that point. I do believe I freaked him out.

The situation poses an odd question. Would you want to talk to a guy who's written a book very similar to one you plan to write? It could be a problem. There's the whole, "gotta beat everyone to the punch" thing. And you'd have to take pains to block crosswinds that might contaminate your own book. One doesn't want lawsuits later on, saying, "you stole my story."

But while I understand this, I'm also sure we'd write very different books. My take on things is playful and unique to me. I'm positive that no one will ever write anything the way I do. So I don't see this as a problem. It is interesting, though. Very.

Although it would be fun to chat with the guy, I would keep the details of my book secret -- and it would be prudent for him to take the same tack with me. Doesn't look like this problem will arise, though, since I seem to have scared him away. Maybe it's better that way.

Still, I'd like to talk to him at some point. After all, we had the same great idea. That has to count for something and I think it means we'd get along famously. But this may have to wait until we've both released our books. Only then could we both let our guard down.

Isn't this the strangest thing?