Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Who can say?

Niles here. They had to rush Keith to a special Writers' Hospital! Early word is that he's having an episode. I told him he was working too hard on the final draft of Xmas Carol but he wouldn't stop editing no matter what I, his trusted adviser of many years, said.

Just tonight, I received word from Doctor Vito, his physician (you heard he's out, right?). Doctor Vito rushed to his side (via Skype) when he heard that Keith had gone down. The following excerpt is from his email to me:
It may be that he saw one misplaced modifier too many, perhaps as he trolled the net. In his over-edited condition, a really ripe misplaced modifier could have sent him right over the edge. You cannot do that much editing and hope to remain sane. I see this with authors all the time in my private practice. But as to exactly what sent him over the edge? Who can say?

Indeed. I will remain at Keith's side until the mental tremors pass. Oh, and he so wanted to get Xmas Carol out before Spring Training began. It will be a fierce blow to him if he can't meet this self-imposed deadline. In truth, I worry he might not survive.

And then where would the world be?