Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The post-season ain't much

Each year I worry about the coming end of the baseball season. How will I cope? What will I do? And then the post-season arrives and obliterates my interest in baseball.

It's not the same thing at all. The real season is about good play, enjoyment and room to grow. The players aren't stuck in a game or a day or a week. They have a whole season to succeed or fail, and a lot of interesting things come down the pike during a season. You watch the games but in a sense, you also watch the season. You see teams mature, check out new players and watch a ton of terrific baseball games. And then the regular season ends and is replaced by . . . the playoffs.

In the post-season it's do or die, now or never. The fun is sucked out of the game and the only thing left is raw competitiveness. Plus your favorite announcers go into hibernation and you have to listen to dog knows who. For these reasons, the post-season is a poor substitute for real baseball.

Sadly, I always forget that by the time the playoffs come around, I've already lost interest in baseball. I must write this down somewhere.

Do you care about the post-season?