Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sleeping with the enemy

I'm watching the first baseball game of the season: Cardinals/Marlins. The new Marlins uniforms are very cool. The lettering is green and tangerine. I like it. (Mind you, on this page where the new team colors were announced, there is no jersey like the one I see them wearing tonight. I don't like the colors shown in that link at all. Yeesh. The new logo's nice, though.)


As I watch tonight's game, I'm in pain. It's sad to see two former Mets stars -- Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran -- playing for the Marlins. The Marlins are the Mets' longtime enemy team! It just ain't right. I understand the players play musical chairs, traveling from team to team in search of the biggest salary anyone has ever been paid -- but don't go over to the goddamn enemy.

This is why I don't understand unflinching team loyalty. The players aren't loyal so why should you be? Watch a bunch of games, pick the most interesting team and root for them. Doesn't that make sense?

Go, Tigers!

I'm being very brave, you know. Jason Varitek retired this spring. It's been difficult to carry on since I heard the news. Mr. Baseball is no longer in the game. He damn well better get a coaching job real soon so I can see him in the dugout again. Seriously, it's a tragedy. I can't even watch a Red Sox game. It just ain't the same.

Anyone else out there watch baseball? Yoo hoo.