Monday, December 30, 2013

Good news from Scrivener

I just received a "Yuletide" email from Scrivener, and it contained very good news indeed. The IOS version of Scrivener is almost here! Here's the relevant portion from the email:
At the end of 2011, I [i.e., Keith Blount, the guy who invented Scrivener] said that the big news for 2012 was that an iOS version of Scrivener was going into development. This time last year, I said that the iOS version would be coming out in 2013. And here we are at the end of 2013 and the iOS version has still not been released. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the delays to the project, as I know that many users are eagerly awaiting it, and I’m as disappointed as anyone that we weren’t able to release it this year. As many of you may have already read, the project hit a major roadblock when our original developer had to step away owing to family health problems, and we lost several months of development during the process of making that painful decision and replacing her.
Earlier this year, we employed a new, very experienced developer, who has been taking the project forward ever since. We’re still a few months away from a release, but 2014 will be the year we (finally!) go mobile, with releases of Scrivener for both the iPhone and iPad. As I write this, we are currently reviewing icons for the keyboard accessory row and testing out the rich text editor. The corkboard, binder, outliner and inspector are already present and correct. There’s still lots to do, so we’re not going to talk too much about it until we are closer to release. But look out for news in 2014.
I cannot wait for this release. The reason I've been ferreting around for iPad apps to bolster my writing process is that Scrivener has no IOS version of its software. Now, it seems I'll only have to wait a few more months to get my hands on the IOS version. That is such good news for writers.

Write a book in Scrivener's desktop software, carry your iPad around with you -- and have the ability to make changes that are saved to the original. Heaven!