Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Openly gay bishop speaks

Rev. Dr. Guy Erwin was elected Bishop of the Southwest California Synod of the Evangelical Church in America...He is the first openly gay clergy person elected to serve as one of the 65 synodical bishops in the denomination.
From the Huffpo article, here's a quote from Rev. Erwin:
"I know that many will see my election as a significant milestone for both LGBT people and Native Americans, and I pray that I can be a positive representation for both communities. There was a time when I believed that I would not be able to serve as a pastor in the ELCA. Our church has now recognized the God-given gifts and abilities that LGBT people can bring to the denomination."
It sounds like he will be a capable bishop who fulfills his duties faithfully. Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Hopefully, other religions are taking note.

Disclaimer: Of course, religious faith of any sort is abject nonsense. But at least a gay man has an equal right to indulge in that nonsense. That's the way it should be. Cheers to Rev. Erwin.