Monday, June 17, 2013

Two cute kid things

At this time of year, local newscasters often go to the beach to interview people. And it seems they always try to include little kids in the interviews. They ask the kids stuff like, "Is the water fun?" or "Do you like the sand?"

I've noticed that when this happens, very small children tend to look into the microphone as they respond. I suspect they think the camera, TV and audience are all inside that microphone. Add a couple of years to the kids' age, and they completely ignore the microphone and look at the person who asked the question. Kinda fun.

The second item concerns a young African-American girl who was interviewed during a news segment filmed at a city library. She was perhaps six or seven years old. When the "reporter" asked her why she enjoyed reading, the child responded with a look of wonder on her face.

She said, "When I read, I go into the book!" And her face lit up like she was seeing heaven.

I thought, "By Jove, I think she's got it!"